Weimaraners may be one of the best dog breeds to have as a pet. The Weimaraner is a loyal, intelligent, active, affectionate canine with a protective instinct. However, there are things we should know before adopting one.
We need to know if they are able to stay home by themselves when you are at work hours or in some other specific place.
The answer to this question is NO. Weimaraners should not be left alone at home. This breed of animal has separation anxiety and likes to be around its owner. Generally, no dog should be left alone for more than 3 hours. Dogs also have emotions and want to express them.
They are susceptible animals that can suffer from separation anxiety. It will need a lot of attention from you, so it is not ideal for owners who travel a lot or spend a lot of time away from home.
Table of Contents
Important Points When Considering Leaving Your Weimaraner Dog Home Alone
- Make sure your pet is not scared or angry with other animals.
- Your Weimaraner dog may think a cat is an intruder and attack it.
- You should make your dog feel safe and comfortable with other animals before leaving it alone in the house.
- Weimaraner breed dogs do not like to be left alone for long periods.
- You should always give your dog attention, affection, and other types of activity. This way, it won’t feel so lonely when you leave it at home.
- Some owners think it is best to leave the dog alone when they go out for a walk so that Weimaraners can run freely and get some exercise. However, Weimaraners are happiest when they have attention, so this could be a mistake.
- Take into account that your pet is well domesticated. It is possible that if you leave it alone at home or tied to its dog house, it can become restless and anxious, causing it to become upset and try to run or escape.
- Watch your pet while you are outside. Your canine may feel abandoned, lonely, or scared. While this is happening, watch your dog for signs of excessive anxiety. If you notice that your canine seems very agitated or is not behaving as usual, it is time to go back inside.
- When a pet feels like it will be left alone, it may stay outside longer than it would.
Keep these tips in mind when considering leaving your Weimaraner alone at home. Dogs can be left alone if their owners are attentive to their pet’s wants and needs.
Dogs are pack animals by nature and want to be with their “pack,” so they need a lot of company and continuously be with their owners or canine companions.
They also need to be constantly challenged to stay happy, so the game is essential to them. Boredom is horrible for Weimaraners, and it is even more so if they are home alone.
Of course, all this depends on each dog. Some Weimaraners get nervous and destroy things when their master is away. We suggest you find a dog sitter or get another canine as a companion.
Can My Weimaraner Dog Suffer from Separation Anxiety?
Typically dogs with separation anxiety are extremely social and affectionate and need attention.
Weimaraners are very curious. They love to run and show their intelligence. However, many of these dogs do not enjoy living alone or being left alone for long periods.
The Weimaraner has natural anxiety about being alone. They love to go out to play and want to be with other dogs and other animals. If its owner is on a business trip, it may become depressed and anxious due to loneliness.
They fear that we won’t come back for them when we go to work or elsewhere. These dogs may even bark incessantly to try to get your attention and avoid leaving it at home alone. All of these things make them too fearful.
When you let it leave the house to play, it won’t take long for it to wonder if you are around it. They can also develop separation anxiety when they are not used to being left alone for long periods.
Many of the medications you give your Weimaraner for anxiety problems have the ability to reduce the amount of time they spend with you. That’s definitely a good thing, but it takes them longer to get used to being alone without you.
Dogs don’t like to be alone. We are their best friends, but you can’t keep them with you all the time, at least not during business hours.
You can consider buying a puppy or kitten so that it can spend time at home with someone while you are not at home.
Is There a Way to Leave My Weimaraner Home Alone for a Few Hours?
As we have said, Weimaraners hate loneliness, but this does not mean that they cannot stay home alone. Dog owners can create a schedule where their free time is occupied with spending time with their pets.
When you or your family take turns caring for the Weimaraner, it can turn out to be positive. While the parents are working, the children can stay with the canine during the afternoon.
Even if the children are in school and the parents are working, they can ask a relative or neighbor to help take care of the dog. That includes playing with it or taking it out for a walk.
It is advisable to take them for a walk in the park or play with them for about 50 minutes to prevent this type of dog from feeling lonely or needy during the owners’ absence. With this in mind, you can go home with the assurance that you will go to work in peace since the Weimaraner will be tired and what it wants is to take a nap or rest.