The whole world knows that animals, like dogs, love to eat. These canines have an incredible appetite, but there are times when they don’t want to eat. The reasons for this loss of appetite in a pet can be very varied and are usually caused by a physical health condition that it presents.
The lack of appetite is considered to be due to anorexia. In humans, it is normal for anorexia to arise from psychological causes. On the other hand, when it comes to dogs, it is almost always due to some physical reason.
Usually, when a Vizsla dog shows no interest in eating it can be due to several reasons. However, it can also be due to a simple and boring diet.
If your Vizsla doesn’t want to eat, don’t despair. There are many solutions to this type of problem, but you have first to know the reasons why your pet has no appetite.
Reasons Why My Vizsla Dog Does Not Eat Its Food
One of the reasons for your Vizsla to stop eating may be due to the following:
A change in routine can upset many dogs and cause them to stop eating. If you change several things around you, it is very likely that your pet will lose interest in eating.
Your Vizsla will lose its appetite to eat if you change:
- The time you feed it.
- Moving to a new home.
- The time it goes out for a walk with you or its canine friends.
- Adding a new member to the family can make it easy for your Vizsla to stop eating. That means that a Vizsla can feel uncomfortable and strange with the presence of another member in its social circle that it frequents so normally every day.
- The time it is used to going to the bathroom.
- Take a family or business vacation.
That is all because Vizslas like routine and anything that upsets what they are familiar with can cause them to stop eating, at least temporarily, until they feel safe again.
Problems are not always caused by the dog that doesn’t eat. If you have another pet in your house, your Vizsla could be reacting to it.
There are cases where if your Vizsla is not eating, it could be because another canine is stealing its food or growling at it while it eats. On the other hand, dogs stop eating when another pet is eating next to them. This dog may prefer to eat alone so it could take its time.
Vizsla dogs like peace and quiet when eating, so they usually start eating when they are left alone with their food.
The Same Type of Food
Always eating the same thing is one of the reasons why animals lose interest in their food.
It is true that dogs love routines and do not like changes, but when it comes to food, it is different. It is sometimes recommended to offer natural, safe and healthy food for your Vizsla. It is necessary to vary its food to maintain a balanced diet.
The Vizsla may be exhibiting a physical health condition or cause that prevents it from wanting to eat.
There are various diseases that can make your Vizsla dog refuse to eat. Some of these are:
- Parasite problems.
Pains in the mouth, teeth or throat are conditions that cause your Vizsla dog to stop eating.
Internal and external pains are also limiting for your pet and its appetite. Therefore, you should treat it immediately if it has such symptoms.
Lack of Nutrients and Proteins in the Food
Probably, the food that your pet is consuming does not contribute enough nutrients to its body, which causes continuous loss of appetite.
Vizsla dogs are very sensitive and sentimental beings. Moods such as sadness, depression, anxiety or phobias can cause a loss of appetite in your dog.
Also, when a Vizsla dog owner stays away from home for an extremely long time, it will make their pet very sad and lonely, thus losing its urge to eat.
It is important that you go to your Vizsla’s vet to rule out the possibility of any serious illness and find out the reason why your dog decides to stop eating.
What Should I Do to Get My Vizsla Dog to Eat?
- It is important that you vary its food. Eating the same thing for a long time can be boring, causing it to lose its appetite.
- You can prepare homemade food, but first, you must consult with the vet. If you decide to give it homemade food, remember not to cook with salt, as it can harm the health of your Vizsla.
- These canines love yogurt. When it is time to eat, you can mix yogurt with its usual food and place it on its plate.
- Vizslas are dogs that need a lot of protein and minerals to keep fit. When serving your pet’s food, you can offer it a boiled egg on its plate and allow it to eat it along with its usual food.
- If the dog’s food is very dry, you can open a can of wet dog food and serve it on its plate. If you don’t have this type of canning, you can add a little soup instead. It is good to vary its foods at times.
What is the Best Food for My Vizsla Dog?
Many Vizsla dog owners prefer to feed their pet kibble. They consider that it is the best option since it is healthy, rich and nutritious. That is generally a good idea, but it’s also essential to balance your pet’s meals for a good diet.
However, as long as you feed your Vizsla carefully and adequately, you have nothing to worry about.